Saturday, July 26, 2008

First Friday

We established our Internet connection this evening. The past few days have been very full. Plenty of household acquisitions at places I have seldom darkened the door of in the past: Linens-N-Things, IKEA, Pier 1. Having a mall directly across the street makes for easy outings and it's pleasant to be able to go for a while and when you get tired of shopping (as I do easily) know you can return later without it being a big ordeal.

The weather so far has been very nice. The first few days were overcast and cool but the clouds burned off around early afternoon and then sunny and clear until it gets dark a little after 9 pm. The past couple the mercury has pushed into the low 90s and we have been fortunate to live up on the 4th floor where the breeze seems to be regular and easily cools off our place.

The city has (at this very early date) fulfilled what I was hoping for in moving. Since I pulled into the parking garage on Tuesday morning I have only had to drive one time. Instead there has been plenty of walking and when needed we can board the bus or MAX line and ride to the west side of town for free. Each night, Tim and I walk to the neighborhood Safeway and buy groceries. It's a pleasant walk and being able to get food only a quarter of a mile away makes cooking seem less daunting. I'm not sure why that is exactly. Perhaps because you walk out having spent only a few dollars and can carry your food home instead of the massive trips we used to have to take when I lived in Orange. Cooking has been one of the big, early surprises. I never did a lot of it when I lived in Orange because I didn't know how to cook for one person. It's been a pleasure though as we have created some delicious meals so far and I've found it very fulfilling to improve upon a skill I've always felt insecure about. In a few more weeks, I don't think I'd have any problem cooking for a special lady. I have a recipe for shrimp and Spanish rice that I would like to create but I'm afraid I may have to wait awhile as Tim doesn't think he'd like it too much.

I've established several routines. The aforementioned dining and a workout routine which has helped us pass the time. Now that we have the various Internets at our disposal I hope that I'll be able to find employment soon. Work- the ultimate routine.

All in all, I would describe the move as a resounding success to this point. Though I'm sure the unbridled enthusiasm will dampen with time I've felt a great burst of energy which I'm going to try and capture in some fashion in my to-do list and in future posts. It's strange how I've found myself experiencing various emotions/feelings throughout the day which have been dormant for most of the past 5 years. So dormant in fact that I'd forgotten they were even gone. A renewed sense of confidence and purpose. I'm sure there are several of you reading this who are thinking about all the times they tried to remind me of these things missing from my life. Well, rest assured, they are back.

Another of these absent feelings which has returned is a sense of loneliness. I'm sure it's enhanced by the fact that I've spent most of my social time over the past few days with a couple of lovebirds but I've found myself really wanting a special someone of my own to experience all of these new discoveries with. A hand to hold as I explore this new home of mine. I saw Wall-E tonight which may not have helped much in that regard either. Tomorrow, I'm headed to some nearby island with my brother, his girlfriend and a couple of her girl friends to pick berries. Then perhaps a visit to the Oregon Brewers Festival which is apparently the BIG deal in town this weekend.

Here are some pictures I took of our place earlier this week. A few of them will need to be updated as soon as I can get my hands on my brother's camera again.

4 comments:

Thatdanblogger said...

Apparently I don't know how to upload pictures. Can anyone give me some tips?

Anne Spencer said...

Hey Dan,

when you posting a blog--there is a icon that looks like a picture. Click here and then, you can choose the picture and its size and what side you want it on -in the blog. Then, you upload and a box will pop up. When it's done I believe its publish it and it goes on the blog.
I hope this helps. Sounds great about the public transportation and walking. There is a good pizza place in the little town of Sandy if you are ever heading to the Mt. Hood area. God bless

Erin said...

Can't wait to meet the future Mrs. Dan. :)

Matthew Minegar said...

hey dan, i found this which may help. i'd like to see those pictures. i hope you put "buy a camera" on your to do list in front of the other things. seriously man, the africabike can wait. :) http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=41641 . shannon's right, there should be a picture deal in the toolbar.